Wonderfully Wednesday

Welcome to the New Year, everyone! Every moment of it has held a special excitement for me. Following the especially passionate kiss as the ball dropped in Times Square, my heart has pounded a little bit faster each time I told myself that this is the year I will be getting married.

And our special day will be on a Wednesday, the Celtic New Year's Eve of Samhein. And yes, to those of you not familiar with the ancient calendar, this is also known as Halloween A lot of people's eyes have widened when we told them this, accompanied by a sometimes shocked, often insensitive comment. Why this day? Because it is sacred. Not just to us because it is our wedding day, but because it is the one day of the Celtic Year when the veil between the living and the dead is thinnest. Those that have left you return, to celebrate the sloughing off of the old year's (or in our case the old life's) drudgery and sorrow. The thought is powerful for me; my dad died not too many years ago; this way he will be walking me down the aisle after all.

Samhein is a day that celebrates new beginnings, and recognizes fragmented pieces coming together, forming a whole  And the fact that it is on a Wednesday will mean we can ask guests not to celebrate in the usual way--by getting plastered at our reception: The key ingredient to any wedding, whenever it is and whomever it unites, is love. Regardless of anyone's beliefs, that is what I want them to remember falling from the sky and swirling around the ballroom as Mikel and I are wed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!