La Dolce Vita

Well, I have always said I like New Year's Eve the best for surprises, and even last night it didn't disappoint me:)

First, a friend and I threw together plans to finally see Les Miserables together, and it was spectacular! All of Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities came back to me, as its details of the French Revolution were amazingly well reproduced in the movie.

We were both so enthralled with the story, I think, and so blown away by the acting, that neither of us shed a tear during most of the heart-wrenching scenes. I even managed to have just "welled eyes" during "I Dreamed a Dream" and "On My Own." Then, just like in A Tale of Two Cities, the ending consumed me. We were both in pieces by the time the credits rolled. I felt like I could have been wailing...but I saved the other movie-goers from that spectacle:) Turns out I wasn't the only one to have that reaction to Les Mis, as comments on Facebook reassured me, so I feel better.

After the movie, my friend graciously dropped me off at home (where I realized that my driveway is hopelessly icy and in dire need of somebody to shovel it), and I had resigned myself to a night in for New Year's Eve. Everyone else was going to have their parties and prepare their hangovers for the next day, but I was going to stay in and probably go to bed early like an old maid; I was okay with that.

New Year's Eve surprised me! After 10:00 yet another friend stopped by and actually rang my doorbell (so many 'adults' just bang on the door 'cause they don't see the bell; it is lower than normal but so much more soothing!), asking "are you a spontaneous person?" Oh how many times I've wanted somebody to ask me that! I am, if given the chance--I'm capable of being very spur of the moment! And she invited me to a friend's party several towns away, in a neighborhood I'd never been to:)

We had some ridiculous Google directions to follow, that were very, very vague and wrong. But eventually we did make it, and had a wonderful time! Everyone was extremely nice, and we all watched the ball drop in Times Square with pretty little glasses of champagne in our hands! It was so refreshing to be in the home of another gracious host and hostess; they're proof that the old rules of etiquette for having a party aren't completely dead--and I wished I'd brought them a bottle of wine.

There was no kiss for me at Midnight, but I had accepted that there wouldn't be, months ago. Instead I agreed with another guest when she said "it would be crazy and crowded, but someday I want to be in Times Square for New Year's Eve."

After the tradition was honored, we all played Apples to Apples, which has got to be the best game invented since Chess, for three hours! It was hysterical fun, and everyone laughed a lot. My friend started out not playing and just watching from next to me, but eventually she got swept up into it, and a good time was had by all. The 3:00 A.M. return and late, late sleep this morning were entirely worth it--the biggest surprise is that I'm in my own house, with my own dogs, enjoying life despite all the changes...and happy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!