Revival

Good morning, Lovelies! Coming to you this morning with a renewed sense of hope--FINALLY--and cautious optimism that some semblance of the life I knew nine months ago will return. My world is opening up! Things I previously enjoyed which have been off limits- the library, the art museum, and cinemas- they're all back! I have places to go again, beyond just restaurants. And restaurants lately have been a little bit of a disappointment, with masks and social-distancing (while necessary) making it feel like Rod Sterling should preface my entry with: "Imagine if you will...". Life has so OFTEN felt like an episode of 1950's "Twilight Zone." So far I haven't been to the library to discover how it's new precautions have changed the atmosphere inside, but I'm grateful to have the option. And I'm hoping to go to the movies this week to see how that has changed OR stayed the same. Ironically, the last movie I saw (on New Year's Eve, to escape the fact that I'd be alone when the ball dropped) is now playing on one of the streaming movie channels, so I've had the chance to revisit my former life a few times this Autum. How weird to remember the hug from a drunk stranger as I was walking home, or the way the night was warm and joyful in spite of January. And in the most wonderful (to me) sign that maybe- just maybe- things will settle back into a comfortable routine- the church has reopened for in-person worship! Yesterday was the first Sunday of this new experiment in a return to life, and I didn't attend. I don't know about you, but this Pandemic has made me feel extra vulnerable, and a little paranoid about all the dangers surounding me. Since the gravest of those dangers is in fact invisible and yet the MOST invasive:( But what I watched of the service through the live streaming was uplifting and hopeful. Just to see a gathered crowd indoors was indeed novel after all these months of such a thing being absolutely forbidden. Afterward there was even a version of "fellowship"--though not inside. The gathered masses didn't talk and laugh and share stories of their quarantine existance in the room where we normally go for coffee after the service, but outside on the lawn, with donuts and apple cider, which makes me smile to think about it. Though I chose not to throw on a presentable church outfit and "make an appearance" at fellowship either. I didn't want the lawn to suffer for my driving a walker through it:) That's my own caution, nothing to do with inaccessibility. I've been waiting all this time to have something positive to write about for once, not just more lamentations about avoiding the Covid. I didn't want to discuss my fears anymore; after a while there's not much more to say. I wanted something real and hopeful and happy to share, and finally it came. Maybe it will still be a while before the dust on this melee settles and we can get used to the landscape that emerges from smoky clouds. But for now, at least there are signs of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!