The Bull's Head

Last night I happened to be in town for another reason, purposely lingering until dinner time. I looked and looked for a little tavern I'd heard about, hoping for a cold beer after walking around in the 80 degree heat. After about an hour (really, I held out that long), I decided to try a wonderful, relatively small place called The Bull's Head. http://thebullsheadtavern.com

The outdoor sign that jutted out above my head was a little rustic, but also kind of classy, just the outline of a the head of a bull in silver against a dark backdrop. It reminded me of the old Dublin Brazen Head Pub, or the Galway King's Head Pub. Such associations just can't be ignored:)

Immediately, I was a little nervous about how much this little place would cost me; white linens on the tables, cushy faux leather benches, dark wood, a little well-stocked bar, and a swanky-yet-charming staircase that led to yet more dining space. But I told myself to relax and give it a try. I even ordered my favorite drink, Vodka and Coke. This isn't very popular here in the States, but I first learned to love it in Ireland. Since the whole day had been reminding me of Ireland and its simple, beautiful joys--statues of famous citizens among flowers on the sidewalks, a friendly, creative air about the many students and business people who I passed, I realized I was obligated to drink a tribute.

 Dinner was very tasty and cozy--and there was plenty of it. I indulged in an appetizer and cheese on my garden burger, that I would have enjoyed even without the cheese. I thought about dessert or at least a coffee, but decided to save that for next time. And there will be a next time.

The dreaded bill came, and to my shock it was very reasonable! I had thought a pretty, well-maintained grill and bar right in the heart of the city would charge me a blood sample, but I was pleasantly surprised:) When I finally got home again, there were Yoshi and Mary waiting patiently. I just love this town.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!