Butterflies

After the last post, and really for quite a while, I've been struggling to keep motivated to write:( I'm almost ashamed to say it; writing is supposed to be the one thing I love to do most! But this endless winter and the day-to-day doldrums have taken their toll.

Today, finally, the sun has been out all day, though that has done nothing for the temperature, which still hovers above truly frigid, on the line between incredibly cold and unbearable.

I've decided to jot down a few things about one historic, heart-warming thing that has emerged out of all this iciness--the Catholic world has a new Pope, and I've come up with a comparison. Not being Catholic myself, and never having said a rosary or even lit a candle to send up any prayers, I'm not exactly part of what happens in their world. But I don't have any stock in the Market either, and yet when it does well, my spirits are definitely lifted. The world seems somehow more in balance, and that is exactly what it's like when the Catholics of the world have their new face. Though my personal favorite, the luminous John-Paul II, has come and gone, with the arrival of each new Pope there is new promise.

A friend on the social networking site Facebook put it so vividly. In the lead-up to the announcement of Francis as Holy Father, the post that caught my attention read "WORLD WAITS TO LEARN IDENTITY OF MAGIC BUTTERFLY" As if to say a new pope is a miracle--and for those who believe he is God speaking through the cardinals to exercise His will--it is. There is something so fantastic about the mystery of it--for all we know we have witnessed a miracle.

And although, as with the Stock Market, countless cynics will say that the Church's new decision may or may not have any affect on the real world, I prefer to look at the positive. The world is different now, even if it's just for a moment--and one butterfly landing on a mountain 1,000 miles away can change everything--if we let it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!