"It Came Upon a Midnight Clear"

I came home, that is! And actually, it's 12:30. Tonight was lovely. Beginning around 4:40, I boarded the bus and headed downtown to enjoy the city a little, for the first time in...too long.

My first stop was an old favorite from before I even started attending Aquinas College. I'd struck up a casual friendship with somebody from Grand Rapids who recommended San Chez Tapas Bistro, an excellent local gem that serves Spanish small plates that are on another level of deliciousness! The first time I went there (not with the guy) it became my favorite, and tonight gave me the perfect excuse to head back there.

For a change, I ate at the bar, which was different, but fun. San Chez is right in the heart of the down town bustle that always accompanies a Thursday night. And the entire menu was available to me there, which reminded me of the time I'd come there with a big bunch of the family for my aunt's birthday. At first they weren't even sure they'd like the Spanish cuisine that is definitely an acquired taste. And honestly they might also have been just a tiny bit wary of a place I recommended:) My tastes don't always follow the mainstream current...I don't do "crowd pleasers".

But before the night was over we were all ordering everything on the menu! And we had a wonderful time. Even back then they had wait staff who made me blush!

Tonight was just like that, even though I was alone. I didn't care. My dogs had even sensed I was getting ready to go out, when I put on a sparkly sweater and heels, then spent a little more time in front of the mirror than usual. They're just like children...I could almost hear them saying "Mommy, I wish you didn't have to go." But before long San Chez made me very glad I'd gotten out of the house.

To make matters better, I'd arrived just in time for Happy Hour, meaning my red sangria was half off! They do an excellent, fruity and bubbly sangria. I indulged in an appetizer, then three "one bite" items that all ranged from $3 to $5, and were absolutely incredible. I've met the chef, and spoken to him personally...very unassuming, he is an indisputable virtuoso:) I hope he plans to spend his career delighting us in this little town, making it a lovely place to spend an evening. My grand finale was a decadent trio of truffles. How could I resist? More to the point...why should I?

Finally came a chamber music concert at Saint Cecelia's Music Center. Two tickets were gifted me in gratitude for volunteering at Art Prize again this year. I was there a year ago too, but didn't get any free tickets! I was so flattered.

The performers were a beautiful, talented piano player and string quartet--cello, two violins and viola. She began the concert by setting the scene. "Imagine the character of the Russian people, to make beautiful music and long stories in those conditions. The seasons are very long, it's colder, the comforts that we have in America aren't there..." It was the perfect segue into what was coming; I felt just like I was in a Russian living room before the Great War, listening to beautiful, elegant, moving music by mostly Russian composers. All of them were rarely performed pieces, which made the night seem so special. My favorite was the second movement in a piece by Rachmaninov, which was just played by the string quartet.

To close the night all five performers came on and played for a good forty minutes or so, and I was surprised how interesting I found it. To be perfectly honest I had expected to nod off, or perhaps even to have to leave! But it was like meditating. My mind would occasionally wonder away from the beautiful sage green walls of the stage framed with antiqued gold leaf. But I thought mostly about things the music evoked--winter, dancing in a ballroom, tipping champagne in a cozy parlor--and then my eyes would fall back on the passionate performers. I loved it when the men plucked the strings on their instruments as the pianist played the high, tinkly keys. It was ethereal. Once they had finished, the crowd rewarded them with an enthusiastic standing ovation--something I've always loved to be a part of.

Rather than attend the post-concert reception, I chose to roam the down town streets. Not to sound too much like Gil in the movie "Midnight in Paris", but walking in the rain is a way to see the city in a more beautiful light, and awakens your senses. I listened to the sound of my walker's quiet progress, felt the soft fur color of my almost-winter coat, and felt extremely grateful that I'd chosen to keep my lined leather gloves in the pockets! At the end of the night I cheerfully came up to my lighted front porch, warmly awaiting my return, and two very happy little dogs! We've been listening to Christmas music since I got home; it seems to follow the theme of the rainy night. "I don't know if there'll be snow, but have a cup of cheer"--or in my case, tea:) Thanks again, my dear Grand Rapids...solitude on your streets is not solitude!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!