Pre-Celebration

Happy Early Thanksgiving, Lovelies! Since I've started writing only on Thursdays, but tomorrow is a holiday, I'm treating us all to an early entry to make the separation easier:) Tonight the concept of inclusion has come to mind. And actually, of course, it's not JUST tonight; it's all the time. Any time I see evidence of somebody with mental or physical challenges being passed over, as I was, and continue to be. Because of my misadventures in job application, I've found that it's not only unfair to expect EMPLOYERS to hire somebody over-qualified and under-experienced, who is also limited in physical abilities on the job. It is also unfair to expect MYSELF to meet the demands of any kind of position that would require a lot of physical activity and/or labor--even if it's just being on my feet all day; my body is simply unable to safely sustain that kind of work. So..as a consequence I'm left out of the workaday world:( And I am left out of the experience of marriage, too...as we have well discussed. Unless I CHOSE to try to make a life for myself with no income and few prospects for employment. I can pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't last long that way on my own. Maybe not even if I DID miraculously find somebody worth marrying. Before all of these "adult problems" though, life has been pretty exclusive toward the Disabled community since we were kids, hasn't it? ALWAYS picked last for sports, rarely confided in (even kids weren't sure you'd understand), and then there's the playground! Usually a hangout for the Able, and who could blame them? How much fun is it to roll your ankles on sand, or get "messed up" playing a blacktop game like hopscotch--and have them all look at you funny? Usually the Disabled impose their own exile from social groups as kids, loners by necessity. The fewer people around, the fewer questions to answer or sideways glances to pretend to ignore. At least that was my experience. I know there a few glowing exceptions, many of which I've included in this very blog--remember the sweet blind band member whose equally sweet sighted friend helped her participate? Or the brothers who hiked, one in a backpack device, through miles together? So I know my experience isn't indicative of EVERYBODY. But it's indicative of many. Lately I've been working with two committees and their members at my church to ensure that everyone THERE feels included in the worship experience too. And there are a lot of people who want to make this happen, thank goodness! I think it speaks to what I discovered during my birthday fundraiser on Facebook--most people are naturally generous and kind and WANT to help, they just have no idea where they're needed, or how to begin. It's the responsibility of those of us who can be advocates to advocate! And let other people know they can help disabled kids in a church feel included by being greeters, or if they're not as outgoing, by helping in other ways. It will help the Able community as well, by forcing them NOT to see us so much as "others" to be passed over, but as people to be valued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!