Amazing Amy

Good Morning, Lovelies! I found this wonderful article I thought I'd share with you. There is SO MUCH stigma around mental disabilities--most of it stemming from misunderstanding, even in today's more "enlightened and tolerant" world. My hope is that eventually, someday, two things will happen that have the potential to change EVERYTHING. First, just on a personal level, I would like to see the world realize "physical disability" does NOT mean "mentally handicapped." I mean come on guys, yes the body and brain work in concert much of the time, but there are exceptions. Just because we have limitations or are not as strong in body as the next guy does NOT mean there's "nothing going on upstairs." We could in many ways be smarter than YOU! Remember that, for my sake. The next thing I hope society will one day get over is the idea that having a mental disability is in and of itself a bad thing, and something to hide or be ashamed of. I run into it literally ALL the time. And now please, Society...this is not back in the Dark Ages of psychology when post-partum depression was called "hysteria" and grieving was known as melancholia. We've learned a thing or two, so let's act like it. That's why the following article's necessity makes me a little sad and angry. We certainly do enough explaining of ourselves in daily life; the Disabled (or their mothers) should not have to go on social media and patiently, sweetly spoon-feed an explanation of why it's not a terrible thing to be afflicted with a mental or physical disability. I know as a society we are not there yet. We haven't reached a level of understanding that makes it possible to just accept each other's limitations as a matter of course and work with them. But there's NO reason we shouldn't strive to reach that goal. Do enjoy the article; it made me so proud to have been "Amy" for the first 30 years of my life:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!