Learn Something

 Hello Lovelies!


I found this video fascinating. For one thing, I've asked (and tried to determine) if I am Autistic even just by a little bit--throughout my life. And indeed, as a younger person I was quiet, introverted to a fault, and nearly non-verbal in a classroom. Turns out, I was just in entirely the wrong situation for my own learning style. A classroom full of almost-strangers is intimidating! Not to mention the colors, displays, learning tools and distractions all around me could be extremely detrimental to someone with sensory overload, which brings me to the first point.

Temperature Regulation Issues

My friends, the speaker in this video explains it so much more concisely than I could, but let me tell you, it's been a problem. I'm actually surprised that temperature regulation issues are specific to Autistic people in this reel, because it has been a problem for me that a number of factors contribute to, not just neurodiversity. Who among us hasn't at one point or another had to wear layers and layers of clothing that they then cast off over the course of an event or the day as their body temperature dips and trembles? But it's fascinating to me that there is demonstrable proof that Autistic individuals are simply not equipped--biologically--to keep themselves from overheating or becoming too cold. Their enlarged hypothalamus prevents it.

Just as an added note of interest on that one, and why I have previously wondered if there was something physically "wrong" with me--I believe I once heard that brain damage makes it difficult for a victim to control the volume of their voice. It would certainly make sense then that if another part of the brain is unusual, another aspect of daily life for the brain-damaged would also be affected. I love learning these little facts that stretch my brain:) It's like a rush of adrenaline. Like solving a mystery.


Bruxism

Lovelies, I have struggled with this my whole life! It's gotten to the point where I sometimes sleep with mouth guards. And it's so interesting that the Autistic are particularly afflicted with this condition, because I have noticed that I primarily do it when my bedroom or my body is too cold! That brings us right back to the temperature regulation, over which clearly the sufferers have no control. I wake up with a light sweat almost every morning because I sleep hot, and I have many blankets keeping me warm as well. This is partially because  I'm also more likely to have nightmares in a cold room, but also because I know of the danger of grinding my teeth. So I'll keep my sleeping habits just as they are, thank you, and bid farewell to the jaw and neck pain that bruxism can also cause.


Distinct Anxiety

Well I guess this is where Autism and I part ways...my anxiety is very generalized indeed. It may have started out with a very specific name, but over time it has grown nebulous and all-consuming and kind of just something I've learned to deal with through therapy and mild (very mild) sedatives. But I can absolutely see how hyper-fixation (common among the Autistic who latch onto one interest like pit bulls) could lead to a very specific fear that that interest or obsession is threatened, or threatens them in some way. Whenever I plan a trip somewhere, which I absolutely love to do, I spend hours researching what I'll do--almost down to the minute--and planning my itinerary like it's a love story I'm writing. The closer I get to the date of my departure (I only take the train; I will not fly), I start to freak out and feel anxious about wild, soul-aching scenarios of how my trip could be threatened! Something could happen to cause it to be cancelled, the train could be detailed to or from Chicago or delayed for hours or even days and I'd have to figure something out on the fly to keep myself safe and comfortable--I freak out over every detail. But therapy has helped me so much with that too. But of course if one is unable to process information or emotions in the same way as someone who benefits from talk therapy (CBT), of course their anxiety would be through the roof.


So that's the lesson for today. I've done things and made changes that have helped me see the convergence within my own neurodivergence. And yet there is a very thin line I must be aware of. Here's the secret with that though; there is always a thin line between "normal" and "abnormal", "sane" and "insane". Maybe the only way we function daily in society is by ignoring the razor's edge we walk on. Remember the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle's quote: "There is no genius without a touch of madness."

Below is the original video I've referenced, so you all might see it learn what it taught me:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/880653933718628         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!