Things That Make Us Smile

Mea Culpa, Lovelies! It's been a whole week or so since last I posted, though honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot happening around here. I've been hunkered down in the house with most of the rest of West Michigan, staying warm and avoiding black ice on the sidewalks:) Although, those sidewalks alone are reason enough to stay inside, if not also the freezing cold and miserable weather. Weather of ALL kinds! Often happening on the same day, has come to town at last and forced us all back into our homes like scared rabbits. For the most part, I'm grateful just to have a cozy "burrow" to hide in until the weather becomes more tolerable, but on days like today and yesterday, when there's lots of sunshine or at least temperatures above 20 degrees, I take my stir-crazy self out, not knowing how long it will be 'til I'm forced back into my hidey hole:) Such conditions, and knowing the whole region (and many others) have to contend with the same things I do, really makes me appreciate kindness. Speaking to others lately, I see that this is absolutely universal; the cold sharpens our sensitivity to acts of kindness, just as the HEAT often makes our fuses shorter and our appreciation of others' kind gestures almost nonexistent as we search for shade and coolness. Well in the ample use I've made of the past two days' relative normalcy, people have been amazingly kind. And I think its this kindness that has made ME want to be kinder to others in return. A sort of "kind it forward", if you will:) People have gone out of their way to help me get from A to B, so I in turn have tried to limit how often I call for food or grocery delivery in this blasted weather, not wanting to force anyone to take on the weather conditions that I myself am intimidated by! And yesterday I said something nice to some one whose job is probably pretty thankless, having always believed in the importance of giving credit where it's due. He was very appreciative, and I resolved that forevermore, when I see something kind, I will say something kind. The TSA and public transit refer to that rule as one of safety; "if you see something, say something," referring to issues of possible security risks. I think it's overdue to be turned around into something positive. "If you see something kind, say something kind." The same DEFINITELY goes for anybody who helps the world be more accessible these days. With so few people bothering to shovel their sidewalks and the snow plows by contrast working SO hard...I'm so grateful any time I see somebody shoveling snowy stairs or salting a ramp. My building management company is chief among these good Samaritans! Ever since about the second winter I spent here, a portion of the sidewalk in front of my building has ALWAYS been plowed or salted almost down to the cement. Sure, it'd be nice if they did the whole thing, but I know my leasing office isn't responsible for every inch of a city block's worth of sidewalk! So I'm just happy with what is done. I find that if I venture too far away from home in this weather, I just end up cursing the slushy, snowy walkways anyway--if I don't also get caught in snow or sleet falling:( On that note, I haven't visited the part of town where I do my in-person banking since the worst of snow and ice started falling. That's out in the suburbs. If the sidewalks and shoulders are THIS bad downtown, I can only imagine what they're like where TWICE as much of the snow sticks to the ground! I can manage with online banking until the streets and sidewalks clear themselves with a real thaw, thank you. So I'll leave you with this: "if you see something kind, say something kind." In these frigid days, we should do all we can to make each other smile:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!