The Price to Pay

Hey!! It's been such a long couple of days. Actually weeks. Since I started seeking signatures JUST to get on the ballot for the library commission position, and JUST have a chance at election to the position, I've been going out almost every single day, hitting two locations (I move when it becomes closer to a meal time, so I'm closer to where people congregate)...I've been run off my feet! And today it became necessary to take that saying literally. I didn't go anywhere; hardly left my bed! But honestly, it's still kind of exhilarating:) I mean, doesn't every normal person usually come home after a long day with their feet and/or hands hurting? My hands hurt 'cause I've been gripping the walker handles very tightly, but I'm sure there are construction workers and NSA agents out there and who knows how many millions of other employees working their fingers to the bone EVERY day! I've just gotten a very small taste, and I do consider it an adventure. An adventure that might actually lead, when this is all over, to somebody like me bringing a fresh perspective to the Library Board of Commissioners:) For up to six years! Yes that's a serious time commitment but come on, where am I going to go?! I'm not leaving the Calder City. So I've got to find ways to "grow where I'm planted", so to speak, as most of us do. Again I mention "most of us" as if that's never included me, and if I'm honest with myself, it never, ever has. I moved a LOT as a kid, more than I wanted to in my teens, and a surprising amount in my 20s. Considering I never thought I would. Now here I am creeping up on 40, and I just want to stay PUT for a little while!! I don't think that's too much to ask. So why not contribute to my town while I'm here? Even if it's just in a small, less-than-noticeable way. Now that I think of it, I've been contributing in small, un-ostentatious ways through volunteering all over the city. Ever since I moved and finally found my home. That really is what it's all about, isn't it? Contributing. Making your "place" nicer than when you found it. And come to think of it, the temptation to limit one's place to their physical home is, ultimately, though noble and completely fine if that's what you want, rather prosaic. Although there are so many other ways to expand your horizons. And so many other ways to make your mark, even in tiny little ways. At the different places I frequent and/or volunteer, there are always students who ALSO volunteer. Most of the time I ONLY see them there; I rarely catch glimpses of my fellow helpers outside of our shared volunteer site. I'm guessing because their lives are also running THEM off their feet, and when they're not engaged in some outside-the-home activity, like me, they're asleep:) But it speaks very highly of them that they make the effort to be a part of volunteer projects at different locations. I'm doing it primarily to plant the seeds in my own life that will hopefully bear the fruit that will see me comfortably into old age. They seem to be doing it just to be wonderful, and to make a difference. While out "campaigning" for signatures, once or twice I've been asked what I wanted to do, how I wanted to improve the library through my involvement, or what my qualifications are. It took me by surprise, for sure! I did not expect to have to deliver a speech as well as deliver the possibility of change in our library system. But now that I think about it, what I should have said was exactly that. U want to bring a fresh perspective to library leadership. I think about it most, actually, when I'm forced to use the restrooms at the libraries! Being one of the few in legitimate need of the "big stall", I am continuously dismayed by how often it's neglected. People throw paper in the toilet, the grab bars or toilet seat are loose and shaky, sometimes some one doesn't even flush the toilet after they use it, even if no other harm was done:( And I'm the only one who notices! Or it seems that way. I know for a fact I am the only one who has told the information desk that the disabled stall needs attention. And that's exactly the kind of thing I think all public spaces need--somebody with an eye for improvement to accessibility features who isn't afraid to voice them! From what I could tell from my short time there, collecting the paperwork I needed to run for this position, I'm pretty sure the Grand Rapids City Clerk's office could also use a little accessibility upgrade:) No offence to them of course, or really ANYBODY. As I mentioned, I'm the only one who's noticed these things, and certainly the only one who's voiced them; it's not the kind of thing that comes up often. MUCH more frequently, it's safety concerns for all involved. Those take priority. And I don't pretend to argue against THAT. The thing is, in a life or death situation, so little regard is placed on "broken lives" that the able-bodied are told to leave those who would slow them down behind, and those LEFT behind must shelter in place. Essentially, in an active shooter situation we hide behind a barrier and try not to get shot. I would like to be the one in library government (if such a term is appropriate) who puts an end to THAT ridiculous mentality. Who comes up with an escape plan for the Disabled that could enable them to survive. Who sees that no one needing to use the raised seat in a public toilet must fear the grab bar coming off in their hands as they sit down! And I guess if it takes running off my feet for the chance to be that voice--that's a price I will pay with interest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!