For Giving

I just want to thank the friends and family who have donated to my birthday fundraiser! For those not on Facebook or who just haven't seen it, for my birthday this year I've started a fundraiser for the Hydrocephalus Association, and the results have been wonderful:) We've far exceeded my (intentionally low-balled) original goal, and there are still two weeks! I'm very proud of it, and it has taught me a lot about human nature, specifically among those in my town. People WANT to be generous and giving if they can, in whatever way they can. The problem is that of course, especially for things like Hydrocephalus, a condition few have heard of and few fully understand, THEY DON'T KNOW HOW! But given the opportunity and a little publicity, plus the advantage of knowing me in real life...look at the response! It's such a shame to me that just because people don't see enough ads for some specific disease or disorder, their dollars don't go there. I can't imagine what it would be like if more people were made aware of even MORE semi-obscure conditions! Also, while I'm at it I have to thank Facebook for making it possible for ordinary folks like me to start fundraisers on their birthday. I'll probably continue this tradition every year from now on! And even if that's just a little bitty drop in the bucket of funds needed to diagnose and treat this condition, especially over a person's life time, that'll be more than enough gratification for me. Seeing the kindness in people's hearts and the willingness to make others lives better the INSTANT they are given the chance to do so--has been the greatest thing I've seen this Fall:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!