Sun Through the Rain

It's a beautiful rainy day, Lovelies! Scattered downpours and this and that, but otherwise coolness and rain and a little bit of a breeze, which is much appreciated. I've discovered over my nearly four years here that heat only rises in my home when it's warmer outside, which makes no scientific sense but...here we are. And there it is. The one thing I can always be sure of is that if there is the slightest breeze to be had, my windows will suck it inside! Just reflecting today on the importance of a group of friends--or several DIFFERENT groups of friends. I'm so amazed and grateful that at this stage in my life, I have groups of friends ALL over the country. I know that's not unusual among those for whom travel is a bit easier, but as someone with mobility concerns (I wouldn't call them 'issues' or 'limitations'), I'm humbly impressed with myself for amassing such an accomplishment! And I know, thanks to the miracle of Facebook and the ease of maintaining at least a passable friendship with just about anybody--that if I went somewhere I've never been but had friends from high school living within it...I would have a contact person if the situation got overwhelming:) But fortunately, thanks to the further miracle of Amtrak, I'm pretty well-versed in travel situations! Anyway, enough of the self-congratulatory stuff:) The clouds are literally parting outside; the rain is drying up, and the itsy bitsy spider is--wait. I digress. Let me go back to travel! It is gloriously becoming much more doable for somebody in my situation. In addition to the article I shared yesterday (a burnt offering for missing Thursday), I've also recently discovered that Norwegian Cruise Lines has reorganized its staterooms so that some of them accommodate ONLY solo travelers! And they even have a special lounge within the ship for the "singles" to hang out! Isn't that fantastic?! I couldn't be happier. Although I've only been on one cruise in my life, many years ago now, it was a truly wonderful experience I'll never forget. And it was with NCL!! Which is of course why I did a little name dropping in their favor a few lines ago; they deserve the accolades! They work amazingly hard at making the experience of every single passenger is memorable and special. And I've definitely considered cruising with them again. Not just lately (because with this improved weather all my friends are traveling and I'm feeling wander-lusty) but for a number of years now. Which brings me right back to the fact that there are departure ports all over the country where I could visit friends before setting sail! Yes, there are days when I go out to get groceries, taking the bus and getting the occasional stare, that I think society would be much happier if I just stayed indoors and never had a life. But then I look around and realize that the vast majority of those around me DON'T want to exclude, but to INCLUDE the disabled community as much as possible! They want to give us stories to tell and people to meet, things to do and places to see that are far-afield. While it's true that not everyone can be happy with every accessible feature (or lack their of) in the world, I believe the world is finally coming around! Witnessing that is the best miracle of all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!