Quiet Statements

Here at the library to print something, and sharing a computer station with three other people. Two of those three have wheelchairs! And we're at the very first table in the bank of several, which I think makes a statement. Get out of our way; we deserve the first/most accessible computers JUST as much as you do! It's a far cry from the world outside. where everybody uses the ramps and blocks the sidewalks as if it's more for them than for us. As if WE don't need extra consideration. When that's pretty much our defining characteristic. Also, the library entrance doors are not ADA width--wide enough to allow a wheelchair or a walker access--unless you open both, which is why there is a "Disabled" button that flings both of them wide and holds them open for you. But Ableds are never able to hold both doors, understandably, so they just hold the one and look surprised when I push the button anyway, telling them "thanks anyway" as I walk past. Is that really rude of me, or indicative of the climate in this world that doesn't spend a second more time than is necessary thinking about the needs of others--not even just the injured or disabled? Oh well, for now I'll let that question hover over people's heads. I'm going to an event tonight at the barrier-free, Leeds Certified, pretty much ALL consideration UICA. No judgement or difficulty attaining entry there! All I have to do is show up and look pretty--which I can do:) And I will remember the women in wheelchairs who lament that "sitting down" as it were, detracts from a really great outfit. Well I'd have to agree that a walker "doesn't really go with anything"-- especially not if you're hoping to look as hot as you can look! But fortunately, the obstacles we've encountered and overcome have given us lots of tools to combat/hide whatever is physically less attractive. Namely charm, wit, the thickest of skins, and quiet (at least in my case) but titanic confidence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!