We Daren't Go--but I do

This week I've joined an activity called the Grand Rapids Active Commute website, where one logs every alternative mode of transportation one takes, in hopes of increasing one's chances of winning one of the great local prizes (gift certificates, memberships, that sort of thing) given to the ones who log the most trips:) Since I walk or take the bus everywhere anyway, I was encouraged (thanks friend!) to join this "healthy competition" and maybe be rewarded for all the driving I DON'T do. It's going well so far; 77 miles logged yesterday, as I shared a van coming and going 30+ miles to a small, pleasant, rural town outside the city. Today I didn't do AS much, but I did some! And it's just as well, since the weather has been mild, yet unbelievably muggy, for days now. I find that walking behind my walker I move very, very slow, and it's quite easy for me to get overheated, which is another reason I'm forced into what I call "hermitage" in my nice, air-conditioned-to-the-ceiling apartment. I'm not a shut-in! I have the option to go out. I just choose not to subject myself to the dangers of overheating when the weather's like this. Once again, I thank profusely the people who work for grocery delivery services! I literally do not know what I'd do without you. I'd probably be living off of Jimmy John's sandwiches and pizza delivery from one or all of the places in town, making my diet pretty pathetic in the Summer! On the other hand, making some of those grocery trips myself this week would surely help me log more miles! And that would make Active Commute Week a roaring success:) The hottest weather's not 'til NEXT week...maybe I WILL go a-traveling:) After all, unlike the speaker in William Allingham's Scottish poem, "The Fairies" I have no fear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!