Choices

Today is not only gloriously sunny (like it's been for days), but also not TOO warm, for which I am EVER so grateful, considering the sudatorium (defined by Dictionary.com as "a hot air bath for inducing sweating") that it's been. And I've had a varied and interesting study-of-the-human-reaction kind of day. Which I guess I have more often than not, since I've been writing this blog. It has finely sharpened my observational skills, and made me a little bolder. Today the only grocery store downtown gets a pass because it's Sunday:) So here's what happened. First I went to church, where I got a hefty dose (in the sermon) of the Nature of God, which I always enjoy, being a Christian. The minister almost made me cry (again, for about the millionth time) talking about how I would be received by Him if I "knocked on His door" by praying at Midnight with a heavy heart:) It's not at all unusual for me to cry at church, and whenever God is presented in a fatherly way, I have a difficult time keeping it together. And THEN we sang one of my favorite hymns, so I was a puddle of emotions after the service In the summers, our church hours change though, meaning that I get out an hour earlier than during the winter, spring and fall, and I had a chance to get some groceries. At the Grand Central Market in town, a little specialty shop that has been my emergency go-to many times since I moved here. However, they close so early on Sundays I don't often get a chance to pop in for one or two things during the regular school year! So this was a rare treat, although getting in the door was a challenge. The doors are heavy, as are all doors downtown, to deter "walk-ins" from street people I guess. And today only ONE of the two doors was open, which is also not unusual for a store front, I know. But then the employees stacked the plastic fold-away chairs for their outdoor seating up on the opposite side of the open door, narrowing the opening even further, making it a little tricky for a walker to maneuver, I'll admit! But the cashier saw me struggle to get inside, and said hello even though he didn't rush over to help. I didn't think anything of it; I'm pretty used to "barriers" all around me where ever I go. And I went about the business I'd come for, which was to get one thing. This of course turned into four things! By the time I checked out and left, the chairs were gone, and the door had been propped open with one of those "flip down" door stoppers:) A shining example of a good person seeing a problem for a disabled person he KNEW he could fix easily, and choosing to "take the high road" and go out of his way to fix it for me. On the other side of the coin, of course, there is a girl I follow on a social network who is very negative, with good reason. People in HER town haven't grown up with the awareness of the ADA, and don't treat people with physical disabilities the way we ALL deserve to be treated. So I certainly don't blame this individual for being a little negative in her posts. If I were observing the human condition from HER perspective, I would no doubt have gloomier view:( For several months I have asked myself if I need to pull up stakes. The weather in Michigan (air that hurts my face in winter, air I can hardly breathe in summer) is rough. And I know that a continuously warm, dry climate would do my cerebral palsy a world of good. BUT, nearly every day I'm reminded of the good there is right here where I am, and that I should not take that for granted. 'Cause if uprooted my life to grow somewhere far away, there's no guarantee of good soil. Not to beat the metaphor to death, but I know I should just "grow where I'm planted" and that I "can't have roots AND wings." It comes down to a choice of the kind of life I want to lead, and the kind of person I want to be, of which this multi-faceted day has certainly given me a glimpse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Still Not Quite Visible

Out of Hibernation!